Calling all Moms

So, I am at the point that I need to wean my baby boy. I need to stop nursing and get him on a bottle. the problem is that he doesn't want anything to do with the bottle. he just cries and cries bloody murder. So, i need help and advice from all you moms out there. How did you wean your babies? What tricks did you use? Please, help this mommy out. Each child is different and he is my hardest yet when it comes to weaning.

6 comments:
This is probably not what you want to hear but I nurse at least a year and then wean to milk in a sippy cup. I start by phasing out the morning nursing and gradually build up to just that before bed nursing and finally that one goes. I'm pretty gradual about it. Good luck!
Julianna
Hi Angela,
I have a 10 month old that I recently weaned because she wasn't getting enough milk. We went cold turkey with her, bottle and formula all at once (my pediatrician recommended I do that)! It was awful for a few days, she would scream and scream while I tried to get her to take it. I would walk around and sing to her to try and calm her down. I wanted to just nurse her but knew I would be starting over again if I did. After 3 or so days she did start taking the bottle. She seemed to do better when someone else would give her the bottle besides me. Honestly, it took me about a month to get her to drink the recommended amount of 18-24 ounces. And just recently (6 weeks later) she actually began to enjoy it. Good luck, I know how heart breaking it is to see them cry :(
I nursed my first son for 13 months because he absolutely refused to drink out of a bottle, sippy cup, ANYTHING and I was afraid he'd dehydrate if I didn't keep feeding him. Eventually you know what worked? A straw. He could suck on a straw. So perhaps try a sippy cup with a straw (and take out any valves so it's easy to suck)?
I started with replacing least favorite feedings during the day with a bottle. If my child would take a bottle I would sit in the rocker, sing and play, and rub his/her head and make it special mommy time. If I nursed during that time they were under a blanket with me watching tv. I think this helped my babies associate bottles with special time. I gradually replaced more and more feedings with this bottle/snuggle time. I replaced the favorite feedings (before bed) very last. Good luck! I know transitions are so hard. Hopefully someone says something that will hit you as right for your situation.
What I had to do is just offer the bottle to hime a few times every day. He'd refuse to take it every time but I just tried a few minutes each time on most feedings. And one day after about trying everyday for 2 weeks, he took it and we never had a problem since!
Keep breastfeeding until he is ready for a cup, seriously!
Post a Comment