Friday, October 16, 2009

Activity Day - Family history


Last night for Activity Days, I taught the girls about Family History. We talked about the importance of keeping journals and about our ancestors. We create our own family trees. It was a fun and super easy activity.

NOTES:
1) I got the canvas from Michaels (3 for $3.99), I think they are 9X12.
2) I used my friend's Cricut to cut out 1 1/2 inch leaves.
3) I told the girls to bring family names from themselves to their great grandparents.
4) the trunk and branches are brown yarn.

Here is the invitation/flyer I gave to the girls the sunday before the activity. There are four to a page.


Here are the handouts I gave them to put in their binders about the lesson and activity.



If you click on the images, drag the image to your desktop and print.

14 comments:

Kari Sweeten said...

Angela,
I just have to stop by and tell you how much I LOVE your blog. I check every post and get so many fun ideas. Thanks!

The Gray Gang said...

Angela, I love your ideas! I get so excited when I see you've posted something! You're awesome.

Anonymous said...

Is that Hannah I see holding hands with a boy at the school carnival?! I hope not, but if so.....Truly, heaven help us!!!

MOM/Grandma

Emily said...

I love your blog, and your ideas. I'm in activity days in my ward and I want to do the family tree activity and I would love the binder stuff also, but I can't email you for some reason. My email is escramper@yahoo.com

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I think that this idea would totally work for YW's too. I might just do that.

Jamie and the Boys said...

I would love to have these handouts as well as the binder pages also. I cant email you my computer is being dumb. My email is smexcavating@hotmaail.com

Unknown said...

I just wanted to stop by and tell you how cute your ideas are! I'm loving your ideas!

Kelli Eudis said...

Hey I just wanted to say thanks for all the great ideas. I've been in activity days for 2 years now and I was needing some new & creative ideas. Thanks for sharing!!

Elizabeth Knaus said...

Hi, great ideas for recording family history. I'm a graphic designer and sell family tree charts at Etsy.

Megan Erickson said...

What glue did you use for the yarn? Just Elmer's?

Angela said...

Yes, I used elmers glue :-)

Ella Weaver said...

Unable to copy and paste this information which I love.......the font is too small and I can't read it, also the color doesn't lend itself to being bold and more readable. Would love to have both your list.
God Bless You.

Angela said...

HI Ella,

I don't have your email to email you the files. But I would also try clicking on the images/pages and a large readable printable file will appear that you should be able to use. hope that helps.

Lana - Kasen's mum said...

Love this how you've put it together! Looking forward to doing this with our class :)