Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sugar Cookie Scarecrow Lollipops


We had our school carnival yesterday and I made these little guys for the Cake Walk. The idea was from Skip To My Lou who I think got it from Family Fun. And here is my take on Mr. Scarecrow. I loved how they ended up and I was a bit nervous the lollipop stick wouldn't hold him up, but it did and they turned out great.

But the real question is will I do something this creative and labor intensive again for a cake walk... probably not! But probably yes for a fun fall party or friends.

NOTES: I used pecans for the here. I used a bit pumpkin cookie cutter for the face. And this great cookie recipe... thanks Monique!

1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
5 cups flour

Cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Refrigerate for 10 mins. Roll at least 1/2 inch thick... the thicker the better. Bake on greased pan at 350 degrees for 8-10 mins. Don't overcook! You want them to look just barely done. Let cool on pan for a couple of mins. then transfer to rack.
* If cookies are really big you might need to cook them longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Way cute! I really need to try these this year!

amy & lisa said...

Too cute! Now this is the kind of Halloween stuff I like. :) Not scary, but fun.

rad6 said...

Those are way cute!